Double Trouble
My friend, Heather, of twins best described having twins as "double trouble." Now, I understand why. When once gets into something the other does. When one cries the other does. When one laughs the other does. When one screams the other one does. My twins may not be twins but that is just the best description.
Catching my breath
Needless to say I am trying to catch my breath since returning on Thursday, October 4th with Eli. Life is C-R-A-Z-Y. So for those that have contacted me and I have not returned messages or written thank you notes...hang with me. I am slowly getting there.
Gifts of Love
I have been overwhelmed by the graciousness of all our family and friends. Gifts so undeserving yet you have continued to bring them. MOPS Ladies, you blew Andy and I away. WOW is all I can say...and thank you. We thank all of you and are so grateful!
How is Eli adjusting?
After many hours of training & classes before we were permitted to move forward in the adoption process, we are now seeing in reality all actions and transitions from Eli. I get the tough stuff we were prepared for....We are in survival mode. Eli has really done well....for the most part. He does have moaning spells. Starting usually early morning and then another in late morning. Then anytime moving into the evening. There is not one thing that sets him off. Most of the time it is when he moves from one thing to the next or if he does not get his way. Occasionally we get a few screaming fits.
Reminding myself...
In the tough moments I sit and just hold Eli. Even when he is fighting back....I know it is not really him. I will not be discouraged. I do get very, very, very tired but I know it is just going to take time. My coping mechanism has been singing. Not kidding. In the middle of Target today Eli starts moaning...well loudly...quite loudly. Gray is also in the basket. Gray is saying,"Eli be quiet.Eli be quiet." I am singing,"If you are happy and you know it clap your hands-clap,clap." Yes, it is ok to laugh. I am sure we are quite the scene to observe.
Yes it works
Waiting Eli's actions out. It works. I stay in close proximity to Eli yet I ignore his actions when they are not good. I sing most times. When I don't sing then I keep myself busy. Then eventually the moaning or crying stops. Then magically he bounces back as if nothing has ever happened.
Our storybook moment
Lastly, Andy and I did have our storybook moment with Eli. It was wonderful, amazing, joyful. I will never forget it! Now, its focus time!
Pictures below are from our last day in the Democratic Republic of Congo:
No comments:
Post a Comment