I wanted to mention a brief example this morning about speaking up for your children that are of another race. I have several companies that I support for various reasons and noticed this morning that designs were displayed of only caucasian children dressed as superheroes. With Eli's loves of becoming a superhero one day I decided I needed to say something to this company.
I kindly explained my child's love of superheroes and then explained that the only options they provided were of caucasian superheroes. It's disappointing that these things are not often thought of but I remembered that education is huge. So many people are in their bubble that it doesn't dawn on them that a child of other races would enjoy that product too. Children do notice when they see something and it doesn't look like them. I have already had many conversations with my precious boy about how his pigmentation is darker than mine. Yes, he has iniatated the question and I freely answer. I don't always believe that it is intentional by companies but I do believe that if everyone is of the same race....a large percentage of the time you may only put that race as an option.
So I spoke up. I said kindly how my child would love this product but I would not be able to purchase it because he was African American. So guess what happened?
Within minutes I received a response and the options I have available. So I say this. Speak up. Say something kindly to others...you can make a difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment