Last Day of Traveling
I did not publish our last day of traveling because I did not have wifi at the airport. But let me just say....Eli was some superstar on the plane from Addis Abbaba to Washington, D.C. and then to Charlotte and then to Nashville, TN. Words cannot describe the sense of relief when we were back on US soil. I came back smelling of Africa and was filthy from sweat and dirt. I didn't care. We were safe and HOME!!!
US Immigration
US Immigration was a breeze. Providing all the paperwork we had been turning over for 12 months was back in the hands of the USCIS. Boy did it feel good to leave the line...I am the silly person who asked if they needed anything else. HA! Andy was saying....just go already Leslianna. I wasn't thinking! :)
Communication Challenge
The language barrier is obviously challenging sometimes but Eli knew when we continued to say Home in Lingala over and over that he was in fact....home. He kissed our hands every time we stood in line to board another plane to make a connection. Can I say gratefulness was overflowing from his heart?!?! He may not have understood everything but sweet man was surely grateful.
Also, Andy and I are able to get enough of the basics in Lingala to understand what he needs. In fact, Eli is still saying a lot in Lingala so I am learning words from him. Who knew I could learn another language?!?
Arriving at the Nashville Airport on October 4, 2012
Arriving at the Nashville airport...well I couldn't contain myself. I ran to Gray. Eli was so excited as well. Brother and Sister...together at last and yes the FAMILY OF 4 together at last. Our ClearView Church family was there as well as our parents and close friends. It is a day that I will never forget. Those that have loved us unconditionally and supported us were celebrating an amazing reunion. Also, I know many were rejoicing from a far! Thank you all for making it so special for us..Grateful is all I know to say.
Arriving back in our home in Franklin, TN
I was motion sick on our last flight from Charlotte to Nashville so the car ride home was a small doozy compared to the flight. However, I was trying to get cool air on me and recline the chair. Gray is singing Jingle Bells and Eli is spitting out Lingala at Gray. They are sharing Cheerios and trading drinks. Gray gave up her milk and offered it to Eli and Eli gave Gray his water. I mean seriously....Gray never gives up her milk.
The neighborhood kids were here to welcome Eli. We had a chalk session out on our driveway. Everyone was so eager to meet Eli. We drew on the sidewalks and all the kids were precious to Eli and Gray. Eli was intrigued by Gray's Minnie Mouse Scooter. These precious kiddos just make my heart smile! So welcoming!
The Weekend
Nothing wild and crazy...just staying at the hub. Gray is struggling a bit with her territory being invaded but overall I think this is pretty normal right? Eli and Gray just love playing with each other and more so chasing each other in circles. Eli put Gray in Gray's baby doll stroller and was pushing her around the hallways at top speed. I think Gray should have had on a helmet. Poor baby stroller...somehow it survived. Andy and I were laughing so hard at this sight...you have no idea how funny it was!!!
Monday-Andy goes back to work and I am with the kiddos all day
Let's just say the first day was really hard. Both children yelling Mama and Mommy over and over and over and over. Whew and then trying to focus on what each child needs and then wants. Whew....I was able to get thru but it was a little stressful there for a bit.
Tuesday
Gray goes back to preschool and Eli and I hang for the day doing various doctor's appointments. Creating medical history from nothing I have discovered is a bit eye opening but nothing to crazy...at least yet. Just the usual stuff! I think Vandy Children's is completely fascinated by a child from the Congo. It is pretty crazy!
Moments of Confirmation
In our earthly minds sometimes we cannot fathom or understand the big picture because we have not gone thru what our Lord has wanted us to...well let's just say when I have seen Gray and Eli holding hands that I know our decision was a sound one. I know without a doubt in my mind that these precious children will know the Love of Jesus because it is flowing out of this adoption journey. Our family is unique but which family is "normal" after all.
Adjusting from Africa to USA
I think I have struggled more than anyone else...including Eli. I am really having a hard time processing what I saw and experienced. We were in danger for most of our trip. We had many scary moments and at times a little too close in my opinion.
I am really struggling to process all of these children that so deserve to have a family. They are beautiful children. I held 5 children during my visit that are spoken for thru CCI. Others still need families.
Orphan Crisis
For one reason or the other there are just a ridiculous amount of orphans. In DRC many children are abandoned due to birth parents being unable to provide. Children are abandoned due to disabilities that they possess and are labeled as unadoptable. Children are abandoned because their teeth come in the wrong way and it is presented as a bad omen. Children that lose both birth parents to death are labeled as witches. I mean the list goes on and on. It is flooring.
Considering Adoption
Any families thinking about adopting...I pray you do something soon. I pray for the Holy Spirit to take hold of your heart. I have a sense of urgency because it was insane to see the amount of children with no home or family. There are just too many kids to not consider. Our lives are waaaaay too short to not consider loving a child who so desperately wants a Ma Ma or Pa pa.
Where do we go from here?
Well, we are figuring out family life as a family of 4. It is wonderful and also challenging. However, I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Joys of Eli
When I hear the pitter patter of Eli's feet in the morning and then a jump on my bed. I know my son is coming to greet me and tell me he loves me in Lingala. He snuggles next to me...I mean right in my face and he patiently waits to start his day with us.
His laugh is beyond contagious. I mean it will have you rolling. His laugh is just plain joyful....it is from the Lord.
He has moaning spells when he does not get his way or if we have any sort of transition. He has begun to figure out that he feels much better when he does not do this. Today he was moaning and I asked him if he would kindly stop. He crawls up in my lap and looks at me and smiles. This boy has me wrapped around his finger. He may be grieving but I know he is using the moaning to get my attention too.
Joys of Gray
First thing...she wakes up in the morning asking for Eli. She asks repeatedly for Eli to "chase" her. She loves her some brother time! She is learning to share better and will offer things to Eli when before she would not consider it. She is a precious girl who is so glad to have us home all together.
More to come
I will continue to blog about our adoption journey because truly our family of 4 is just beginning and we cannot wait to share our lives with you as we see what our Lord uncovers for us each day. I don't want to miss a thing He has in store for us. Love to all!
No comments:
Post a Comment