Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Gotcha Day Events

Eli's Gotcha Day

I was up and at 'em at 5:30 am yesterday. September 24th would be the day we would not only hold our son but also the day he would come with us to be apart of his forever family. 

Just so you know I have been unable to blog in the evenings as I would have hoped. By 7pm we are all exhausted and the kids at St. Anne's are ready for bed shortly after. We follow the example.

Our day started off with a strict 7:15 am breakfast time. You better be on time or you will miss the food that is offered. So Andy, amazingly sleeps 'til 6:55am with all the birds singing their songs so early... Usually the birds start warming up around 3:30am in full force.

The breakfast tables are set up with 6 chairs each. Andy and I join a nice gentleman that only speaks French so Bonjour is spoken enough and then the gentleman is able to tell me which coffee is light and that is our conversation. That is it. Then the chow begins on our toasted bread, butter- oh fresh made butter, fresh oranges and that is it. Tea us also offered but I just cannot force that down. So i stick to my coffee and put a ton of Nestle chocolate mix. Their is nothing else to put in the coffee so I get creative. Andy and I enjoyed a nice breakfast with other adoptive moms with their small children. They are holding some of the blessed babies that are surviving the terrible infant mortality rate. These babies are going to make it because they will receive proper vaccinations and proper nutrition. They will be the next generation. The adoptive moms talk about their home lives back in the States. All have left smaller children with their husbands and they came by themselves. I am beyond grateful to be sitting next to my husband on this trip. One Mom from Canada, one mom from Indianapolis, a lonely man that came in after all of us and suffered thru the Mamma talk, then the friend that came from Canada to help her best friend for two weeks, then Andy and I. One mom has a brother-in- law that went to Auburn and is moving to Birmingham soon so great conversation comes from that. Then the rest of the conversation is a pep talk from the moms to Andy and I. (Boy, looking back I am so grateful for their preparation.)

Dido shows up on time. He is one of the few that does not observe TIA ( This is Africa) time. Dido (social worker, guide and interpreter), the driver, Taun Taun ( social worker in training) Andy, Julie  (our adoption agency director's daughter) and myself all hop in the van for the day. What a journey... Thankfully we left early enough we missed most of the traffic. Dirt roads, paved roads, concrete pot holes the size of small crater. Back and forth, back and forth. The transitions are tough on the bum but hey TIA.

We make a stop on the way. Andy and I are encouraged to buy food for the children. We get the most massive bag of rice for $50 US dollars. Then we pass one of President Kabila's homes on the way to the orphanage. Road after road of massive poverty. My mind is in such overload that I almost cannot process it. Small hills are made from sand bags with tons and tons of layers of trash. Water, sewage, trash, mixed in with sand mush. It is heartbreaking. Babies are wrapped on their mothers back. Market after market, street after street, of people just sitting and trying to sell what little they have. Stuffed animals are being sold that looked as if they have been used by multiple children...being sold as some of the best that they have. Some of the Congolese people have the ability to sell. Others have nothing to buy or sell. So many sit and sit and sit. They have no hope. You can see it so vividly in their eyes. They are just trying to survive. They are just trying to live. I want to cry but my mind is having such a difficult time processing these sights that I cannot cry. 

Per a previous conversation that Andy and I had with Dido he says that the only way his nation will have hope is to know the Lord, Jesus Christ. The only way his nation can completely turn around is to know that Jesus can save them and wants a relationship with them. You see Dido was saved by Jesus 21 years ago. He said that he heard if Jesus from 2 four year olds that were blessed with the gift of reading the Bible. Since then he has not looked back. He had to know who this Savior was. 

So back to the story. We arrive at the orphanage. We are greeted by waving children and then all at once my world stood still. Eli is jumping up and down and waving to us. Our son knows us and is ready for us. We get out of the van and we are taken to a very small office. We will get to see Eli until official introductions are done.andy and I listen for at least an hour from Mamma M, one director at the orphanage and then the priest. Each wants to make sure that Andy and I have a great understanding of what Mamma M has given uo to care for these children. They explain that this is not just an orphanage. It is a place were they try to educate all their children starting a age 6. They teach the children responsibility and have. Them help in the orphanage gardens that feed themselves. many caring adults that care so much fir these children's well being and that they strongly recognize the importance of raising up the next generation of Congolese children. One thing that is not discussed to great detail is how much the children are fed. 

Then the moment arrives. We are going next door to officially meet Eli. Before I can enter the room Eli has his arms up in the air,running to me, and about knocks me down. I am squeaking and Andy is rushing to make it thru the door. Eli knows his Mama. I cry tears of joy. Andy sits their with us and cries too. We are so blessed to be having this moment. Flashes, video are all rolling along. We are then encouraged to give the children the candy we brought for them. We are told 2 suckers per child. Eli helps me distribute to his friends. Then we are told Eli must wait here while we tour the orphanage grounds. I was not prepared to let him go but I agreed and they communicated to Eli we were coming back. We must follow their protocal. 

We then embark on the most treacherous hike I have ever been on for some crazy reasons. I can hike but the dirt/ sand that was below us was so slippery that your footing was easily taken from under you. Most of the hike I was on my bottom scooting down this massive hill. Then I really feel the fool with one child carrying a large bucket of water up the hill I am climbing down.They move with such ease. With such grace. Bonjour is traded and then they quickly continue on up the hill. Then we make it somehow to the bottom. We are then the orphanage workers, our social workers,Andy, Julie and myself begin to cross this bridge of metal. You will have to see the picture later.Andy crossed first,then me and then I reached out for Julie. No one told me I was going to have to prove my athletic abilities to be ale to bring Eli home.( please know I am kidding but it sure felt like it). 

We then cross the rows and rows of food that are being grown for the children. Then we stop at a house that is making bricks. I mean what can they not do? They are self sufficient for the most part. Then up another massive hill. Going up is much easier. Then we see where  the children sleep. Then on our way to see the school. Up another hill. Then we get to see school happening. School teachers, what I saw was the very essence of what education is all about. No books but children in uniform learning about their country's history and then some sort of grammar in another class. Basics. Keeping it basic. Not overly complicated.

We then make the trip back and stop to see Eli's bunk bed. One light for a room that holds at least 30 children. This has been the only home Eli has ever known. He will never sleep there again. It's emotional.

We somehow made it back. Then back to the office where Mama and Papa will be holding him. During our last moments at the orphanage we are told we are not going to be able to take Eli with us today. I look to Dido and Julie in sheer panic. ( I am internally going what in the world. oh heck no!) for the next hour Dido and Julie fight to help us bring Eli with us. They will not allow us to. They said that we must leave and then they will bring Eli to St. Anne's. This Mamma and Papa Bear were told we were leaving with Eli and that is what we are going to do. These negotiations went back and forth for at least an hour. Finally we find some middle ground. Dido, Andy, Julie and I must leave and in an hour they will bring Eli to a restaurant down the the road. Dido knew that if Eli was not in my arms in one hour I was going to walk back and stay at the orphanage in protest until they released him. Julie fought for us... We owe her a great deal.  The orphanage had not prepared Eli to say goodbye to his friends. So I am crying hard at this point and not trying to show it to Eli. Dido knew that when he saw my tears I meant business. We left but left our social worker in training with Eli. He and the orphanage social worker would bring Eli to us at the restaurant. I had to trust the Lord would protect Eli. That they would hold to their word. I had to let my Savior walk me thru this. Our adoption is His after all.  Leaving without Eli was very painful and disappointing. 40minutes later he is back in my arms.

Eli's first request is that he wants a soda. Sprite it is! Then chicken then bread. We slowly give him these things. Once finished he points ever so sweet,y to the ice cream machine outside. Well, of course, baby boy it is your Gotcha Day after all. Then he eats about a 1/4 of it and asks to bring it with him to save for later. Oh sweetness your are just precious!

We make the journey back to St. Anne's. Smog, fumes, traffic, oh it was a doozy. We make it back. Eli, Andy and I go to our rooms to freshen up. Eli finds all the toys. He is an instant soccer player. You have no idea how much he loves this itty bitty ball we brought. He throws directly to you and catches most of the throws. Oh Eli you have no idea how you are making your Daddy smile. Papa is so proud of you!

Later after a bath, change of clothes for Eli we go and meet back Dido and meet our lawyer JB that has been fighting for us to bring Eli home over the past year. We discuss plans for tomorrow. Then Andy and I are released with Eli. We must do our meetings with order according to Dido and JB. you ask questions at the end. No questions along the way. Oh and yes the toddler carrier is much loved by Eli. He knew just what to do when I was putting him in. He holds me and lays against my shoulder. We go to look at the fish tank. Eli tries to reach down and grab the fish. We soon realize he thinks it is a snack. So we will be steering clear of fish tanks for a while.

 I get Eli ready for bed while Andy grabs dinner. Eli is so excited to put on Buzz Light year Pjs. Only  wish you could have seen his smile. Also, he had Cars undies and he must of thought he was something else. Eli was sooooo tired and quickly I see bed time may be a fight. He throws his blankie down. Then he crawls up in the bed and goes to sleep only when Andy is laying next to him. We have one bed for the 3 of us. It's just amazing to see Eli sleeping soundly. He has been so good today. 

I wake up several times this evening and Eli has his arm over Andy and then another time his leg. He sleeps soundly between us. He is safe and with Mama and Papa. 

Love to all! What a Roller coaster of a day but one of the best day's. Glory to our Lord and Savior!

3 comments:

  1. Bless you all on your Gotcha Day! Been thinking of you and praying for you. Thank you for writing in such detail. It's a double blessing for those who are coming behind you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just sobbing and praising the Lord for this Gotcha Day!!! Know that we are praying for you three in Congo. Praying that all goes well and you return home quickly! LOVE THIS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading this post! Would you be able to share your photos with me from the M orphanage? My son was also there and I don't have any pics for his life book. :( Kind if freaking out about trying to complete the (pictorial) piece of his story for him w orphanage photos. Trying to order life book this week (it's done just awaiting some orphanage photos). I'd be forever appreciative if you could share with me/my son photos from this important part in his story. Thank you! -Ashley Haden

    n (we're FB friends, so if you're able to share some please feel free to contact me there).

    ReplyDelete