It's Gotcha Day! I am so excited and I woke up feeling like I was sleeping in the zoo. There are so many birds that sing thru the night it is not even funny. More singing birds woke me up at 5:30 am while Andy snoored thru the whole thing. We are beyond overjoyed. We are minutes away from being picked up to meet our son for the first time. We lost power last night so I could not post but here it is....also, Mom & Gayle please be on alert. We may be able to Skype with Gray this evening so she can meet her brother. Our evening time is between 1-3pm your time. Please have mom's Skype closeby. Here is yesterday's blog:
Sunday, September 23, 2012
Upon arriving to Kinshasa Andy and I both fell asleep for 4 hours ( partial on the flight from Ethiopia and then on a stop to Brazzaville, Congo then a transfer to Kinshasa, DRC.) 4 hours in 48 hours was just enough to keep us functioning to get off the plane and thru Customs in DRC.
Our stop in Ethiopia and our stop in DRC are like night and day. Ethiopia-everyone spoke English. The airport was full of people that did not look like us. Ya, think! We stuck out like a sore thumb. Andy and I both needed to go to the restroom but we just waited to nervous to be anywhere away from our plane to DRC. We sat for an hour before our next flight left. We identified 4 Americans in this massive airport. All I can say is that I think I know why I lost my voice now. Americans just keep your mouths shut. Keep quiet, listen and be very respectful. No eye contact, heads down... Just move where you need to go and that be it.
I was shocked at 4 Americans from D.C toEthiopia. They talked at the top of their lungs and had basically let the whole plane know that they were adopting children. I do not recommend advertising your mission. I am so grateful that these sweet people were not going forward to DRC. I truly think they would have been pulled aside.
DRC, well, you better know some French or they won't acknowledge you. Thankfully Andy was able to pull some French from memory. I, on the other hand, was only recalling Spanish & German phrases. (I think I was sleep walking thru DRC customs. )
Relief was felt as we got off the plane. The steps from the plane to the concrete...let's just say we shook as we walked down the stairs... Then black top, then as we get closer to the building we are walking thru sidewalk rubble to get into the airport. Concrete rubble, exposed wires, unpainted cinder blocks, partial concrete everywhere. "We are not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy."
As we step inside to go thru Customs in DRC we move rather quickly. As I look around we are outnumbered by military at least 2 to 1 and then in baggage claim 3 to 1. Military and police are clearly clothed in uniforms and then I begin to observe all of the plain clothes police and government officials. The ceiling is full of exposed wires. You would like to think they were "remodeling" but I had a good suspension that this airport had been like this for some time. Oh and yes there is a "health officer" in white uniforms to check your yellow card.
Then, finally, we make it thru customs and we are off to baggage claim. Andy and I are both thrilled to be in baggage claim. "We made it" is all we kept saying. I look around and many Congolese people are standing holding signs with last names. Reading, reading, reading names and our last name is not anywhere. I act as nothing has phased me and we go and find a cart to hold our 5 large pieces of luggage and our backpacks. I just said a quick prayer to the Lord to please bring our driver to us and then I had to let it go. Focus on one thing at a time.
The "moving" baggage claim started "moving" we see none of our luggage and I realize that no one on our flight was receiving any of their luggage either. So we wait. 1.5 to 2 hours later our luggage comes. During that long wait we are approached by multiple Congolese taxi drivers and luggage helpers to help us. We just look away and say nothing. Then I have a driver approach us asking us if we are Americans and pulls out an envelope with our last names. Yes, Jesus, thank you. Our driver had come right to us.
Then we are off! Our driver helps us walk by all the government officials and then we make a long trip to our van. Andy pushes all this luggage thru the uneven sidewalks to the van. I recognize quickly that we are beyond spoiled we have a large van all to ourselves. Everyone else is cramming at least 20 people into each van. Not kidding. Then right away our words are taken right from us. The devastation, the poverty, the gloom over the peoples faces, the thousands of people that we are seeing are without jobs and roaming the dirt roads and some partial paved roads. It is heartbreaking. You want to just cry. You say nothing because there are no words in the dictionary to describe what we saw. I think even among the greatest writers would have been speechless. I know we are in the poorest country in the world. Andy and I have traveled a lot over the years and nothing prepares you for this. Babies, very small children, unattended and happily digging thru trash on the side of the road. Trash is seen in multiple layers. The air is red and smog filled. It is a very sad country. I never saw one smile. We ere told to keep the windows sealed and now I know why. People can easily reach in. Our driver was very comfortable leaving His window down but we were fine with our windows sealed tight.
We arrive at our compound about an hour later in Kinshasa. I praise Jesus when I see a woman with a hot pink 147 shirt. We are safe. I get out and praise Jesus again. We are here. We are safe.
After checking in we go to our room. We do a little unpacking and then someone knocks on our door. It is Dido, our social worker and guide. I jump up and down and he just laughs. He asks Andy and I to follow him to the courtyard. We discuss tomorrow's plan and what time he will pick us up. Then he leaves to take Julie, Dave's daughter, to check on several children.( One of the children is at a hospital due to catching a fever. )
We then go out to the grounds area of the compound and meet our adoption agency director's husband, Dave. Until sunset I hold a beautiful child. She sleeps in my arms until dark. Another child sits in the chair next to me and holds my right hand. Andy goes and preps the soccer balls. He brings one out and the only boy here presently claims it as his own. This little boy is so particular we are told. He walks around with a washcloth, small teddy bear and now to add to his collection - a new soccer ball. He is the same age as Eli. He sits cross legged and will only allow Dave to hold him. I work for hours to make the other children crack a smile. I get 3 of the 5 children to smile the others are not waivered. Much sadness in their eyes.
Then Dave leaves me with the 5 kids and he and Andy go off to the market to get Andy and I a pizza since we arrived so late and had missed signing up for dinner. Andy gets a run down on where the US Embassy is( right across the street), United Nations, and Portuguese Embassy.
I get to talk with one adoptive mother and her friend from Canada. She had left her husband and 3 children at home. She is holding her beautiful 20 month old daughter, Zadia. She has been here 13 days. Something went wrong with one Canadian document so she may be here a few weeks longer.
While waiting on the men to return a wild dog enters the compound grounds. The 3 adults grab all the children and quickly take them into the sitting area. As soon as we walk inside the power goes out. Thankfully I had the IPad with me and over the next 20 minutes the children sat in amazement of who else than Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. They laugh and smile. It was a priceless moment in my book.
Then Dave returns and I ask where Andy is. Dave said, "he is waiting on the pizza to cook." I looked at him firmly and said, " you left him there?" "Please go back and get him. " At this point it is after dark and we are not supposed to be out on the streets.
Dave returns 5 minutes later with Andy and our pizza. After that I pass the kids to Dave and Andy and I head to our room. We are exhausted. We start unpacking and Andy attempts the first bath. He about falls two times. Our shower is kind of a pit. The bottom of the pit is a shower bottom and then the rest is open so water goes everywhere. Thankfully we have a very small air conditioner. Next is my bath. The water is ice cold. I have drips of water to wash and rinse my hair. That took a bit but boy did the cold water feel good after such a long 2 days. Then we went to bed with the mosquito netting tightly around our bed and we were out.
Our journey is amazing. TheLord has hushed us and asked us to listen to Him on this journey. literally... Much love to you all. We miss home and we really miss Gray. We know our purpose and we are working hard to do all that the Lord has asked us.
P.S. for those families traveling behind us... Be prepared for the bugs. i am so thankful that I brought long sleeves and pants and boots. it is hot but the mosquitoes in particular are bad. Bring clothes you can leave, towels, washcloths... Bring 'em. Also, either glasses or sunglasses to shield the dry dirt flying up when you ride in the vans. Bring no jewelry. I mean none. Also gals, its a no make up kinda place. I am loving it! Also, Catherine I am sporting your FitBands all the way in DRC! They are perfect for this trip especially!! You need nose spray with saline too!
Prayer request: please boldly pray in groups for quick processing of Eli's exit visa. Also, the US is processing Eli's US visa on Tuesday. Please pray boldly for a quick exit for us. Glory to our Lord!
No comments:
Post a Comment