I am wide awake after Andy's surprise party. I slept for a few hours and then was just laying in bed thinking about all the fun we had tonight.. Andy turns 30 on Monday so I had been wanting to do something really special so he would never forget it! Well, I had two major surprises this weekend for him. Brent, Andy's brother, flew in on Thursday night. Brent was coming on Friday but because of the major snow storm on the east coast US Airways was flexible on their policies and allowed anyone to change their flights. Brent went directly from work to the airport and got his ticket changed went home and grabbed his clothes and took off very shortly afterwards. So Surprise #1 was in the air and was scheduled to arrive at 11pm. Well, because of the flight change I had to figure out a way to get Brent to the house. My sweet friend Tara had volunteered and I was going to let her take on the task to pick up Brent from the airport. If any of you remember it was terrible on Thursday night....raining hard and super cold. Finally I decided I could not ask someone that late of notice to go and do that in that awful weather. I let Tara know later that I would pick up Brent. Well, before I left Mom and Dad had been keeping Gray so we had to find a way to get them out of the house without Andy knowing. I got Andy to go to bed early and said I would follow shortly after. Within minutes Andy was out and I snuck Mom and Dad out the front door. I woke Andy up right before I left and let him know he would need to be listening for Gray if she started crying he would need to get up. My excuse of where I was going at 10:30pm was that I needed to run by the drugstore. He really didn't question me much ...I think because he was so tired. So on my way to the airport I went. Brent's flight arrived on time and we were on our way back to the house. When Brent and I got to the house I went and woke up Andy and asked him to come into the living room. After him grouchily asking why I told him I had an early birthday present for him. He protested of course for a bit because he was dead asleep. Finally he rolled out of bed and went into the living room. First he just stood there and then he walked a few steps closer to the sofa and said, "Wait!" I realized quickly that I was getting no reaction because Andy could not see Brent. No glasses were on! How funny is that! When he finally realized who was there he woke up quickly!! So Surprise #1 accomplished! Check!
Oh and by the way-Originally I had a super plan about picking Brent up from the airport Friday and taking him to Andy's work. I had Andy's coworkers in on the whole thing. Basheer and Melissa were going to sneak us up the stairs thru all the secure doors. I had contacted Andy's boss and she graciously gave Andy Friday off so he could spend it with Brent. Whew! Let's just say major communication went on to get Brent here.
Ok Surprise #2 pulling off a surprise party on Saturday. Fortunately on Friday Andy brought up the subject of Playstation with Brent and that endless hours of entertainment would soon be provided when Andy said he had been at Lyle's house previously playing some game that was really neat/awesome/cool. So Andy called Lyle to see if he and Brent could come hang out for the afternoon on Saturday. Fortunately Lyle and Holly knew that they would need to talk with me about the plans since they knew that Andy's party was going on. I called Holly after Andy had called Lyle and told her that I definitely would encourage Andy to come so that I could get some things done for the party. Well around 1pm on Saturday I was finally able to get Gray and I going for the afternoon to take care of all the details. First stop was going to get the cake. Of course when I arrive the cake was half the size of what I ordered. :) Shocker! Gray and I stood there and waited 45 minutes for them to make Andy another cake. Finally cake was finished and we could be on our way. I also picked up foam board, glue sticks, etc. to make Andy's collage of baby pictures to take to the party. Was I ever so glad that at Publix someone will walk you to your car! So Gray and I made it to the car and were now on our way to my sweet friend Tara's house to work on the picture project. She and her fiance Jim welcomed Gray and I for the next couple of hours to crash their afternoon plans. Tara and I cut out the pics and arranged all of them in a collage. And of course Gray had a blow out. Don't you know she had to initiate their home as well. Fortunately it all stayed in the diaper this time! Lastly was picking up the balloons. Gray and I patiently waited as the balloons were prepared and also how the lady kept losing track of the balloons and would be randomly floating out of her reach. Finally with 8 balloons in hand Gray and I were attempting to get in the car. Can I just say that was hard...hold baby with left hand while trying to cram 8 balloons in the back of the 4 Runner. Whew! Now on our way to the restaurant....When I pulled up Tom, Mom, Gayle, etc....were quick to help unload and get the area set up. Over the next 45 minutes people started arriving and then around 6:45 Andy walked in to the surprise of his life. 45 of his closest friends and family were waiting to celebrate his special day. All I can say is that I fooled him for a second time also within 48 hours of each other!!!
It was so special to have everyone all in the same place just to show how much they loved Andy. He was speechless and told me he would never forget his 30th birthday! My mission was a success! Surprise #2...check, check! Happy Birthday Andy! I love you very much and am so happy you are my husband!
No comments:
Post a Comment