There was much discussion in Sunday School about Haiti. We covered anything from discussing that 80% of Haitians are Catholic and then there is also 80% of the population that practice Voodoo. How ironic! We discussed their history and how supposedly some of the leaders of the island hundreds of years ago had made a pact with the devil and someone commented that Pat Robertson(I won't go there.) believes that this is Haiti's punishment. It was very interesting to just observe what was being said.
I don't know if this is Haiti's punishment. That is not my place to say but I do know that we are called as believers to love all. My place is not going to judge but to love all those that are in pain. I think of all those children that no longer have a family. I think of those parents who may be searching for a child. I think about the mass chaos that must be there. I think about those their from our military trying to help those in need. The list goes on and on. My heart of course hurts for these people. It hurts for those that I will never know. It also makes me incredibly grateful for what I have and that I live in the United States. It also makes me feel incredibly spoiled. I woke up this morning to a comfortable bed and my sweet baby girl making funny noises on the baby monitor. Haiti woke up to chaos and maybe a glimmer of hope. I don't know.
I had a friend that was actually in Haiti for a mission trip. Molly Parkes Stroud and I have known each other since we were children. Even though we had lost contact over the years we just recently reconnected when Andy and I went to the Dominican Republic. Molly and her husband, Joel, were sitting right in front of us. Molly and Joel were on their 10 year anniversary trip. It was so funny that God would place us on the same flight and right next to each other. I am attaching a link of Molly's homecoming to Arkansas. It was incredibly emotional! Also, one of the other missionaries that was with Molly's group is going to be featured on Oprah tomorrow. Molly will be in the pics featured tomorrow.
Molly's homecoming: http://www.kfsm.com/videobeta/watch/?watch=1593cd99-c8b8-4d29-9c24-e164f3dbc893